UPDATE October 23, 2009
Colin Campbell, long since vanished from the national political scene, finally settles with the bank that (evidently illegally) exposed him. Please note that the other culprit, Phillip Paulwell, remains both in Parliament and in the Shadow Cabinet. Remember the name : Phillip Paulwell. This is a man who thoroughly understands Jamaican politics and has an unerring sense of which way the wind is going to blow………………
October 9, 2006
Well, I got this one totally wrong, but, can’t say I’m sorry about this particular result….
Bruce’s revelations about Trafigura’s transactions with the PNP forced the resignation of Colin Campbell, Minister of Information and PNP General Secretary, one of the few PNP big noises to have supported Prime Minister Portia Simpson Miller in the PNP leadership race. Lots of celebrating in both PNP (Peter-not-Portia section) and JLP camps last night.
This morning’s harsh light is shining on:-
1. What was the nature of the transaction between the PNP and Trafigura ? What can a political party do for an oil trader that can earn them J$31 million ? Apart from the obvious bribery/thiefery/sign-right-here-on-the-dotted-line-boss-tank-yu…….
2. Did anything criminal take place ?
3. Speak up, Minister Paulwell ! We can’t hear you. You involve or you don’t involve ?
4. What is the role of Goodworks International (newest employee: former Prime Minister of Jamaica P.J. Patterson) in the “transactions” with Trafigura ?
Over in the dark corner :-
1. The future of whistle blower Sonia Christie (Let’s hope she’s not married to a parasite, because it looks like she might be sitting home twiddling her thumbs for a good while…….)
2. Who gets Colin’s work ? PM Portia says she’s going to handle this herself for now….(Is this when new PNP Vice President Angella Brown-Burke becomes a Senator and goes over to fight it out with the JLP’s Joan Gordon-Webley over in South East St. Andrew?)
3. PM Portia has ordered that Trafigura be given back its dirty money. Since the money spend already, should we assume that First Caribbean International Bank will be coming up with the cash needed in order to avoid any further publicity about its little problem with client confidentiality ?
Skeptics corner :–
Bruce might want to watch how diligently he and the JLP clean Portia’s house for her. He doesn’t need it looking too polish, shine and squeaky clean come National Accountability Day….
[posted with ecto]