While you were watching the World Cup:-
(1) “Scandals Whitehouse” is back on the front pages as the JLP discovers that the contractor, Alston Stewart (PJ crony and formerly Chairman of the National Solid Waste Management Agency ), is a bigger thief than they had previously thought possible
(2) water supply has been locked off across the island as 1,700 National Water Commission employees have gone on strike. (For you, this may only mean no shower and drinking your Red Stripe from the bottle instead of a glass, but pity the schoolchildren taking end-of-term exams….)
(3) Gleaner columnist, Kevin O’Brien Chang discovered that Jamaican women don’t care if their baby fathers’ names are on their children’s birth certificates or not…..er…Kevin ?…I think it’s the fathers that are supposed to care…..and do something about it….
(4) The Anglican (Episcopal) Church in America chose a female as its leader. The ensuing fuss proves that not enough people are concentrating on The Greatest Show on Earth…..Don’t they even care if the U.S. makes it to the next round ?!!!
(5) Angela Merkel, Chancellor of Germany, whisks a 3% increase in Value Added Tax
(like our GCT) through the Upper House of Parliament – apparently the biggest tax increase in German history – but, hey, nobody noticed… (and nobody will notice until July 10th…..)
[posted with ecto]